Knox Boxes

We encourage all local businesses to participate in our Knox Box program.

A knox box is a secure armored vault bolted to a building exterior that contains keys to the premises. In an emergency, this system provides us and other first responders access to your building more quickly, helping minimize damage that might occur while waiting for you, the keyholder, to respond. 

You can browse available commercial or residential products on You must select Vermont, then enter Shelburne Fire & Rescue in the search field.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, contact us.

Mailbox Signs

Help us help you.

In an emergency, locating the address as soon as possible is the first step in saving lives and property. Help all emergency service providers quickly and accurately locate you when you need help by ordering a reflective sign.

Shelburne Firefighter’s Association Reflective Sign Program Order Form

Note that sign posts are not included. All proceeds from reflective mailbox signs benefit the Shelburne Firefighter’s Association.

Fire Extinguishers

The Fire Department cannot accept or service any old or used fire extinguishers. Town residents can find several service companies in the area online, or can arrange for disposal with an appointment at CSWD’s Environmental Depot. Disposal is free, just arrange a time for drop off at

Burn Permits

Before you have an open fire, contact the Shelburne Police non-emergency number to obtain a legal burn permit: 802-985-8051.

What to know about burn permits:

  • Permits may only be requested on the day you wish to burn, and are good for that day only.
  • Bonfires require a permit, must use only brush, and must be small enough to be controlled. Fires must be completely out before retiring for the evening. 
  • Permission to burn is granted only if it is deemed safe to do so. The Fire Warden may require you to extinguish the fire in the event of changing weather, or if your fire causes a nuisance to neighbors.
  • The burning of some materials also requires an air quality permit. A burn permit is required for an air quality permit. Check with the Department of Environmental Conservation for details

Do's and don'ts:

  • Fires must be attended at all times, and must be out completely before dark.
  • You must have enough resources on hand to control the fire. Fires must only be kindled at a time and under conditions that will enable parties starting them to keep them entirely under control, and not create a public nuisance or hazard.
  • Only brush and/or vegetation may be burned. Small piles of untreated, clean, wood construction debris may be burned, but recycling this material is encouraged.
  • Garbage, demolition debris, pressure-treated or painted lumber, waste oil, asphalt, material containing asbestos, plastic, and rubber are not allowed to be burned and must be properly disposed of.
  • You cannot use any flammable liquid such as gas, diesel, or oil to start a fire.
  • Campfires are allowed only for the purposes of cooking and recreating on one’s own land. Campfires are not allowed on property not belonging to you without permission of the landowner.


View a photo gallery of our Department's fleet.

See Our Fleet


Looking for more information beyond these resources? Check our Frequently Asked Questions.

The More You Know

• Dangers of Asbestos Exposure